Saturday, November 22, 2008

Party People

I came to be a fan of Basement Jaxx through house music and first experienced them as a DJ duo. Even though I continue to enjoy most of their pop songs and the live show, there's nothing I like better than a Jaxx DJ set.

This is a short excerpt from a set the boys did in between Remedy and Rooty at the Axe Phoenix Legends show in Ibiza. I don't have the whole set unfortunately. This is only 13 minutes, but it features a song that they used to play in their sets and live shows back then called Party People.

To my knowledge it was never released, even on Banana Krew, which is a shame because it's one of those Jaxx bootleg tracks that mixes in tons of samples from classic tracks into one new banging result (like Jumpin Jumpin, also never released). Almost like an Annie Mac mini-mix before mini-mixes existed.

This clip also features a version of Where's Your Head At that they played before Rooty was released. It features a sample of DMX yelling "Where my dogs at?!" I remember buying the Romeo pre-release with Where's Your Head At on the flip. When I played it, I was surprised to hear a familiar track.

Tracklist:
1. Afro Medusa - Pasilda
2. Basement Jaxx - Rendez Vu
3. Basement Jaxx - Party People
4. Basement Jaxx - Where's Your Head At (early promo version)

Also, I'm not sure, but I think this version of Rendez Vu is either an unreleased version or a live mix, because it features some vocal outakes from the song that were only used in the Dreamzdub mix of the song. The Dreamzdub of Rendez Vu is one of the most beautiful tracks the Jaxx have made, and I'll discuss that in another post one of these days.

Enjoy the set!!

No comments: